Are You Listed in the Right Business Category?
What do you do? How would you describe your business? What category do you fall into?
While every business is unique and we always resist the notion of being pigeon-holed, the fact remains that data drives how people find us. Data needs to be organized and organization requires a system. The Chamber website and directory uses “business categories” to organize businesses into groups that customers can query and sort and search.
Assigning your business to a specific category is one of the most important aspects of managing your online presence at the Chamber. It is worth taking a few minutes to check your categories and make sure you are in the right ones. And, if you are a member, you can be listed in more than one category - which can be critically important if you have multiple product lines.
For example, we have a category for local eats and a separate category for caterers. If you are a member that runs a restaurant that does both, you’ll want to check your listing. You most likely are already assigned to “Local Eats.” But are you also listed as a caterer? If not, let us know so we can fix that for you. Do you offer retail items for sale at your fitness studio? Enough that you want to be listed as a retailer as well as a fitness club? Let us know.
Business categories are important for two reasons: (1) Most importantly, it lets consumers find you when they search our listings. With over 100,000 searches of our directory annually, you want to make sure you have the right category tags. Don't miss an opportunity for customers to find you. (2) It also is important that we at the Chamber office can find you. If we have a communication about an event or a legislative issue or change in local law, we’ll send the information to businesses in the appropriate business categories. If you are not in the right category, you could miss important information.
How do you check what business categories you are in?
- Visit our website and find your ePage.
- Under your name, in gray font, you’ll see your currently-assigned business categories listed. There should be at least one business-specific category. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. Chamber members can be assigned to multiple categories.
How do you see the various categories available?
- Easy! Go to our website and click on “Member Directory.” You’ll be connected to our main Business Directory Page. There are over 100 categories organized into 29 groupings, or “Quicklinks.”
- Click on "Display All Categories" at the bottom of the page to see the individual categories.
How do you change or add categories to your business listing?
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know what change you want to make.
- Login at http://browncountyohiochamberoh.chambermaster.com/login to update your category.
- Note that members can add multiple business categories, of which one must be designated the “primary” category.
- Staff will review your request to make sure it seems reasonable and consistent with your business description.
What if there is no business category that appropriately describes your business?
- In rare cases, Chamber staff can create a new business category. Just let us know what needs added.
We look forward to helping you get this assigned to the right category(s). Questions about categories or your business listing and business categories? Call us at 937-378-4784 or email us at email@example.com
Missy Jimison President / CEO
- February 28, 2023
- Send Email